The Ethereum Classic community is in for a joyful new year, as the ETC Cooperative has announced some excellent announcements regarding the protocol’s future year.

As per a recent release, the ETC Cooperative, a public charity dedicated to promoting the development and expansion of Ethereum Classic, will begin sponsoring development work on the Core-Geth client next month.

The Core-Geth client is an Ethereum protocol provider that uses the Go computer language to enable users to operate Ethereum Classic, Ethereum, and associated test networks. Geth is the Ethereum network’s most popular client, with the bulk of its users using it.

According to the statement, ETC devs Isaac Ardis and Christos Ziogas have signed new deals with ETC Coop but will continue to operate under the ETC Core Team. Diego López León will also be on the squad. Since September, he has been collaborating with ETC Coop on the Hyperledger Besu client, another leading protocol supplier for ETC.

ETC’s Core Team will now continue development work for both of these customers and other projects as they arise, according to ETC Coop. “The recent narrow focus on just the Core-Geth client is not representative of the history of the team,”  it said.

The Core Developers Team has been a key element of the ETC protocol since it split off from the Ethereum network, and they were vital in maintaining prior Geth clients until the Core-Geth was released in 2020.

The Core-Geth client is the network’s primary node and is a fork of the Go Ethereum client. It controls 94.5 percent of the network’s nodes, while Hyperledger Besu controls the remaining 5.5 percent. The Ethereum Classic Labs had previously financed Core-Geth, but the ETC Cooperative will now support it.

The network’s ongoing growth of ETC clients is crucial since they play a significant role in ensuring its security. For example, due to a fault discovered in the Geth client, installed by over 50% of ETH users, the Ethereum protocol just avoided a catastrophic hard split, similar to the one that formed ETC in 2016.

On the other hand, ETC was not so fortunate since it was also targeted by the same flaw, resulting in an accidental hard fork in September. While it was not a huge problem at the time, a negative impact on the hash rate and issuance rates showed grounds for problems coming.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here